Dan Caplis, Esq.Founder, Accomplished Trial Attorney, and Nationally Recognized Legal Analyst
Dan Caplis is the founding partner of Dan Caplis Law. Dan graduated with honors from the University of Colorado, where he also served as student body president, and was named the National Evans Scholar of the Year. Dan was then awarded a Juris Doctor degree from the University of Colorado School of Law.
Dan has been litigating catastrophic injury cases since he began practicing law in 1983. In fact, during his first year out of law school Dan was selected to serve as the lead trial attorney in a complex, three-week medical malpractice trial involving catastrophic birth injuries to a set of triplets.
That extraordinary trial experience convinced Dan that he wanted to spend his life helping good people whose lives had been shattered by the carelessness of others.
For over 34 years, Dan Caplis has served as lead counsel in many successful trails and arbitrations. His proven willingness and ability to take cases to trial has also helped Dan to very successfully settle thousands of important cases prior to trial. Dan has served as counsel in a large number of cases which have resulted in seven figure settlements and is frequently called on to handle cases which are the subject of extensive local and/or national interest. Here is a very small sample of the many notable cases in which Dan has served as counsel:
- Young woman paralyzed in mass transit accident.
- Young father catastrophically brain injured by semi-truck driver.
- Teenager catastrophically brain injured by nursing error (wrong medication).
- Young father stuck by bus in crosswalk (largest PI jury verdict in Colorado in 2015).
- Young woman seriously injured and her husband killed by underinsured motorist.
- Baby’s brain injured at birth by medical negligence.
- Teenage girl paralyzed in a vehicle roll-over.
- Woman paralyzed when attacked by a dangerous employee.
- Family seriously injured in Coors Field escalator failure.
- Woman brain damaged by dangerous drug.
- 6-year-old boy killed by car at school crosswalk.
- Baby died because of 911 system failures (paramedics sent to wrong address).
- Young man loses leg on the job.
- Drunk driver kills wonderful young woman.
- Drunk driver catastrophically injures a hard-working young man.
Dan is also a respected legal analyst. His legal analysis has been quoted by many prominent medical outlets, including Fox News, CNN, NBC News, ABC News, CBS Denver, the Washington Post, New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, Boston Globe, Associated Press, Time Magazine and U.S. News and World Report. Dan has also been a regular guest on national interview shows including many appearances on CNN and Fox News. Dan is frequently invited to speak to professional groups, Church organizations, and schools.
Dan’s work on behalf of the disadvantaged has been recognized by numerous organizations, and honors include the Humanitarian of The Year Award, presented by Archbishop Jose Gomez, and the Pro Vitae Award from the Archdioceses of Denver present by Archbishop Charles Chaput. 5280 Magazine named Dan among the “25 Most Powerful” people in Denver, and a Rocky Mountain News columnist labeled Dan “A Colorado Treasure.”
Dan is married to Aimee Sporer Caplis. They are the proud parents of two wonderful children Joe and Caroline.